30 June 2014

Speaking My Language

A friend of mine recently posted a link to an Entertainment Weekly article that I couldn't not click: The 55 Essential Movies Kids Must Experience (Before They Turn 13.)

I can't remember a time when my day-to-day dialogue wasn't riddled with pop culture references. When the well-timed insertion of a movie quote into conversation didn't have the effect of creating instant and universal understanding - and sometimes the ties of lasting friendship - between participants.

It's even fair to say that at my advanced age (38), I've been employing certain turns of phrase for so long, I've forgotten where they originated. They're so fully integrated in my vernacular I can't even tell when or where I adopted them.

So this list caught my eye and I gotta tell you: it's pretty terrific. Very comprehensive. And almost completely bang on.

I won't give you the whole list - you can find it here - but it inspired me to write my own list: the most important contributors to April-speak. Really, the ones you need to fully know (and maybe memorize) to truly 'get' me.

Author's note: the list is pretty kid-friendly, but not 100%. Overall? I'd say PG-13.

The Essentials of April-Speak:
  1. The Princess Bride
  2. Star Wars collection
  3. Zombieland
  4. Harry Potter (books AND movies)
  5. The Colbert Report
  6. Se7en
  7. Fairly Odd Parents
  8. Get Smart (Steve Carrell version)
  9. The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
  10. Transylvania 6-5000
  11. Phineas & Ferb
  12. The Muppet Show
  13. Monty Python & The Holy Grail
  14. Monty Python & The Meaning of Life
  15. Office Space
  16. Robot Chicken
  17. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
  18. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
  19. Friends
  20. Family Guy
  21. The Far Side
  22. Wedding Crashers
  23. The Walking Dead
  24. Dirty Dancing
  25. Ron Swanson (I would say 'Parks and Recreation' but really, it's just Ron.)
  26. So I Married an Axe Murderer
  27. The Matrix
  28. The Long Kiss Goodnight
  29. Chicken Run
  30. The Crow
  31. Babe
  32. Blade Trilogy
  33. Modern Family
  34. Grosse Point Blank
  35. Animaniacs
What about you? What pop culture references pop up most often in your conversation? What's on your list?