02 May 2014

Money Pit Reads (or at least, Shops for Books Like a BOSS)

Way back in January I introduced you to the weird alcoves in my media room, and pondered what I might do with them to make them slightly less weird and a bunch more functional.

Libraries! I said. Just stacks and stacks of books! I pronounced. And then I set about the task of filling those babies up without having to sell one (or both) of my children to finance it.

My first efforts in foraging (otherwise known as thrifting) yielded some pretty great results on a pretty low budget. But 21 novels in a (roughly) 6' x 2' x 2' space does not a fulsome library make, and even less so when there are TWO spaces of those dimensions.

Which could mean only one thing: I NEEDED TO SHOP MORE!! Tough times.



Book List
  1. Adams Richards, David | The Lost Highway
  2. Alameddine, Rabih | The Hakawati
  3. Banville, John | The Untouchable
  4. Brown, Ian | The Boy in the Moon
  5. Brown, Karen | The Longings of Wayward Girls
  6. Caletti, Deb | He's Gone
  7. Carnarvon, The Countess of | Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey
  8. Choy, Wayson | All That Matters
  9. Choy, Wayson | The Jade Peony
  10. Coupland, Douglas | Hey Nostradamus!
  11. Cunningham, Michael | The Hours
  12. Faulkner, William | The Sound and the Fury
  13. Fitzgerald, F. Scott | Tender is the Night
  14. Frey, James | A Million Little Pieces
  15. Glass, Julia | Three Junes
  16. Gray, Spalding | Impossible Vacation
  17. Hornby, Nick | A Long Way Down
  18. Hosseini, Khaled | A Thousand Splendid Suns
  19. Hugo, Victor | The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  20. Huston, Nancy | Prodigy
  21. Irving, John | Until I Find You
  22. Johnson, Paul | Heroes
  23. Johnston, Wayne | The Custodian of Paradise
  24. Kaling, Mindy | Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns)
  25. Kingsolver, Barbara | The Lacuna
  26. Maguire, Gregory | A Lion Among Men
  27. Maguire, Gregory | Son of a Witch
  28. McCarthy, Cormac | Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West
  29. McKay, Ami | The Virgin Cure
  30. Melady, John | Double Trap: The Last Public Hanging in Canada
  31. Miller, Sue | While I Was Gone
  32. Moorehead, Caroline | A Train in Winter
  33. More, Thomas | Utopia
  34. Nafisi, Azar | Reading Lolita in Tehran
  35. Niffenegger, Audrey | The Time Traveler's Wife
  36. Ondaatje, Michael | Divisadero
  37. Padwa, Lynette | Everything You Pretend to Know and Are Afraid Someone Will Ask
  38. Price, Richard | Ladies' Man
  39. Rech, Lindsay Faith | Losing It
  40. Richter, Daniel K. | Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America
  41. Salinger, J.D. | The Catcher in the Rye
  42. Sancom, C.J. | Sovereign
  43. Sebold, Alice | The Almost Moon
  44. Shriver, Lionel | We Need to Talk About Kevin
  45. Soli, Tatjana | The Lotus Eaters
  46. Summers, Courtney | Cracked Up to Be
  47. Wells, H.G. | The War of the Worlds
  48. Wilson, A.N. | London: A History
  49. Zailckas, Koren | Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood
Some I've read before (notably, Salinger and Wells) but felt they were important to have as part of the library. (Shouldn't everyone own these?) Everything else is new to me.

I'm halfway through Erik Larson's Isaac's Storm but will be looking for my next read very shortly. Have you read any of the novels I've picked up? Any suggestions what one I should start next?

PS- Those 49 books? Cost me $65. BAM! Like a BOSS.