06 January 2014

Pantone Colour of the Year | WTF?

When Pantone announced their 2014 Colour of the Year in early December, honestly I was flummoxed. I loved Chili Pepper (2007), Blue Iris (2008), Turquoise (2010) and Emerald (2013). I didn't love - but accepted their expertise without question - Honeysuckle (2011) and Tangerine Tango (2012). I even stood by them during the unfortunate Year of Mimosa (2009).

But Radiant Orchid? In livable decorating?? I just... it's... well, it's awful, is what it is. I mean, Pantone: I respect your right to pick whatever colour you like but really... WTF?

Then I thought: they couldn't have made this decision in a vacuum. (could they?!) It couldn't be that the Colour of the Year is the most impossible colour with which to decorate. (could it?!) So naturally I turned to that most prolific of resources to ferret out the truth: Pinterest.

Turns out, Radiant Orchid is maybe more livable than I first thought. While I still don't love it (and would pretty much prefer to see any colour other than this in decorating... even poor old Mimosa), I acknowledge where it might hold a certain appeal, if you're into that sort of thing (that sort of thing being: vibrant, in-your-face colour; you'll see in my post on Friday why this does not apply to me.) And I totally see how, as an accessory and in small doses, it actually might be sort of nice. Paired with soft greys and creamy whites and maybe an oatmeal here and there? Yes, I can definitely see the appeal of that.

Here are a few of my favourite looks...

| via |




| via |


| via |
| via |
| via |
| via |
| via |
| via |
 
You know what? Maybe those good folks at Pantone are really on to something....