01 October 2013

Foodie Tuesday | Pumpkin Muffins

People, I am no baker. Not even a little bit.

I admire folks who are at home with flour and baking powder and chocolate and "wet" and "dry" ingredients. I am not. In fact, those terms -- wet and dry -- are the actual extent of my baking knowledge. That's it! I've got nothing else. I'm hopeless.

But I sooooo want to be like those folks. I want to make magic in the kitchen.

I want to make baking my bitch.

So when hunting around for some really super-awesome pumpkin recipes that would blow your mind throughout the month of October (because, FYI, October is all-about-pumpkin month), I came across this recipe for pumpkin muffins. From scratch pumpkin muffins. That looked.... deceptively easy. And delicious.

That looked like a deceptively easy, delicious little trap, designed to make me feel like a faker baker. Again.

But then I thought: what the hell? If I bake 'em and they stink, who needs to know? If they get all, We can't even believe you tried to make us. How sad are you, faker baker? You suck, then I can just throw them out and share a one-pot-wonder dinner recipe with you instead.

It's true: muffins can be surprisingly rude and aggressive. You have to eat 'em quick to show them who's boss.

So I sucked up my misgivings and took the plunge. Mixed wet and dry. Followed the instructions to the letter (with very few exceptions, except I only made 12 muffins with a bit leftover. I think my muffins are bigger than the average bear.)

And you guys?

They turned out beautifully! Woot woot!!

I AM A FAKER BAKER NO MORE!



PUMPKIN MUFFINS
Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 25-35 minutes | Serves: 12-18 muffins

Ingredients:
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup tinned pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
  • cooking spray
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar

Cooking Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
       
  2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Once combined, make a well in the centre of the mixture.
      
  3. In a separate, medium-sized bowl. combine pumpkin and next 6 ingredients (pumpkin through egg white.) Whisk together.
      
  4. Add wet mixture to dry, stirring just until all ingredients are moist.
      
  5. Spray muffin tins thoroughly with cooking spray. Spoon batter batter into the cups, filling until level. Don't overflow the cups.
       
  6. Combine the remaining granulated sugar with brown sugar; mix together with a fork. Sprinkle over muffins.
      
  7. Bake 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from the pan immediately; cool on a wire rack.

Go ahead: Eat 'em up! They're scrumdiddlyumptious. The Girl inhaled her first in about 2.3 nanoseconds and asked for more. And you know how "selective" she is about food, so that's saying something.

BONUS TIP! If you're like me and you like a little extra goodness on your muffin, skip the butter or jam and try cream cheese instead. Just trust me.

Plus, BONUS PHOTO! Here's a snapshot of the muffins just before they went into the oven, because I liked it and because they even look delicious when they're raw.



Notes: vegetarian | kid-friendly | nut-free (safe for school!) | freezer-friendly | seasonal

Original recipe from Cooking Light, via Health.com