08 January 2013

Workin' 9-to-5, What A Way To Make A Livin'....



Classic Dolly

Because I am neither independently wealthy nor am I married to someone who is, I have to work for a living. Luckily I've led a bit of a charmed life in this area, having historically worked with interesting, engaging people, or been doing interesting, engaging work. My newest role is notably exceptional because here, I'm doing both. Professionally, this an amazing time for me right now.

I'm also lucky enough in this role to be awarded another enviable luxury: beginning next month, once we've launched our first annual conference (a major undertaking), I will work from home on a regular basis. Which of course means.... I'll need a home office!

When all four bedrooms in a four-bedroom house are taken up with people, that doesn't leave a lot of room for office space. No one likes to cuddle up to their printer at night. But what we do have is this awkwardness right here:


Coming up to the top of our stairs, this is the vista: our "landing." The landing, mind you, is 10 feet by 13 feet, excluding the real estate of that little nook on the left hand side. It's huge. And horrifically awkward (as you can see by the placement of the previous owner's furniture.)

Through the door frame to the right, we're looking at the doors to my mum's room, and the family bath. Dead ahead through those double doors is the master bedroom. Here's what it looks like from there:


You can see what we're dealing with is less than ideal, but if there's to be an office in this house, this is where it must be. All 10x13, weird-angles-and-funny-walls of it.

I've been obsessing about its possible layout for a few weeks now (basically, since I realized work had presented me with the opportunity to push full-steam-ahead on a decorating project that wasn't even on the horizon at the time!) and I think I've come up with a workable arrangement. It'll look a little something like this:


There's a rug somewhere in the mix, too, but it cluttered up the image. I also can't decide whether I'd like it smaller and focused on the desk, or if I'd like to extend it all the way across the room. The first option I think makes the most sense visually, but maroons the bookshelves and artwork on the opposite side. The second will link the whole room together, but risks looking like a river between the top of the stairs and the master bedroom.

Designers, decorators and stylists (professional or otherwise)? Time to weigh in! If this were your room, what would you do?

Note: All photos are courtesy of Century 21 People's Choice Realty Inc.