27 March 2012

Foodie Tuesday | Helloooooo, Dolly!

Happy Tuesday, peeps! Hope your Monday was A-OK and today is even better.

In my ongoing efforts towards "keepin' it real" and in the interests of full disclosure, my Monday didn't go exactly as planned. I had an arm's-length list of tasks I wanted to accomplish yesterday and either I vastly overestimated my own abilities or else it takes me waaaay longer to do things than it used to when I was young and spry. Either way, only half the list got check-marked and what I had planned to share with you today didn't so much get done. Way it goes in the land of wifedom and motherhood, I suppose.

But fear not: I switched gears midday (when I knew even then that my planned topic wasn't going to pan out) and decided to share something that I thought you might enjoy even better. These:


Yes! Today is now Recipe Tuesday!!! And for those of you with sweet teeth, you will rejoice.

In our house these bad boys are called Magic Squares (maybe for obvious reasons? they are magically delicious. and magically disappear in 2-point-3 seconds after baking). Everywhere else in the world I believe they're called Hello Dollies, and if you haven't tried one, you definitely should. The recipe is super-simple and can easily be adjusted to your own tastes.

MAGIC SQUARES
Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 10 + 30-40 minutes | Serves: A lot

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup + 3 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
  • 5 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 1/2 cups each:
    • milk chocolate chips
    • semi-sweet chocolate chips
    • butterscotch chips
    • Skor toffee bits
  • 2 cups each:
    • unsweetened dried coconut flakes
    • chopped walnuts
  • 2 cans condensed milk

Cooking Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
      
  2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 13 x 19 x 1 inch baking sheet with 3 tbsp room-temperature butter
      
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, heat the remaining cup of butter in a microwave for 1 minute, or until fully melted
      
  4. Add the graham cracker crumbs to the melted butter; stir with a fork until fully mixed (crumbs should be wet yet loose, but should retain its form when pressed or balled)
      
  5. Scrape the crumbs into the baking sheets and with your hands, pat down to a single, smooth layer extending from edge to edge. Bake for 10 minutes in your preheated oven, to set the base
      
  6. Remove the crumbs from the oven after 10 minutes, and spread the milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and butterscotch chips, Skor toffee bits, coconut and walnuts over the graham cracker crust in even layers. (I always add walnuts first, then butterscotch chips, then milk chocolate, then toffee and coconut, with semi-sweets on top)
      
  7. Add the condensed milk, pouring evenly over the top layer from edge to edge. Use the entire contents of both cans (even if it looks like too much)
      
  8. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, check, then another 10-20 until golden bubbly
      
  9. Allow to cool at room temperature for approximately 4 hours before cutting; a pizza cutter works best for these. Pour yourself a cold glass of milk and enjoy!
#8 | What emerges from your oven should look approximately like this

#9 | Recommended service & presentation :)

I made a pan of these for the boys at this weekend's volleyball tournament, and they were INHALED after the final game (and not just by the boys ... the parents were just as keen!) They were so good that they definitely called for another, so I whipped up a second batch yesterday (which is the one I photographed for you; you're welcome) So if ever you have some spare time and you're looking to make a big splash at a party, a barbecue, a family gathering or at the dinner table, give them a try! Enjoy!!